Thursday, August 14, 2008

Goat Cheese: A Love Affair

Chris Briddick, one of our SD Turkey consultants, once wrote: “The goat cheese in Turkey will make you want to hug the next goat you see out of gratitude, your vision blurred by tears of joy.” After my first breakfast in Turkey, I wasn't looking for a hug-- I was planning a whole-scale kid-napping (ha!), complete with duct tape and a clever disguise to get us through customs. It didn't entirely work out, but oh, the memories:

On the trip, I believe I was known as the Weird Girl Who Took Pictures of All Meals (and, later, the Girl Who Could Bring a Dessert Buffet to its Knees), but with good reason, don't you think? These plates were works of art that rivaled anything we saw in the endless string of museums:

“The city was a jumble of aromas [...] Almost every smell made her recall some sort of food, so much so that she had started to perceive Istanbul as something edible" --from The Bastard of Istanbul, Elif Shafak


Now back in the states, I find myself strolling wistfully through Hy-Vee, looking in vain for whole roasted hazelnuts among the ho-hum cashews and real Turkish olive oil among all its mediocre Mediterranean imitations.

*sigh*


But as Tim says: all the more reason to come back to Turkey!

2 comments:

Beckett said...

Methinks you need to write for a food magazine! -tali

Carrie Cole said...

You were clearly meant to go on this trip to Turkey... I'm so happy you had the opportunity and that you you share your experience so poignantly in this blog.